Getting Data In

Permissions for Linux forwarder on .gz log files

apache_strike
Engager

Hi everyone,

I want to monitor files on a Linux server. Every hours (at minute 59), a file DATE.log is compressed into a DATE.gz.

Though inputs.conf I am monitoring all the files (DATE*). I noticed that I have some logs missing for 20 minutes (from ~ the minute 37 to the minute 59) every hours between 8am to 8pm. I checked the splunkd.log and saw this error:

WARN TailReader - Insufficient permissions to read file='.../DATE.gz' (hint: Permission denied)

I gave reading rights on the .gz files, but maybe it's not enough as the decompression is effective on the forwarder. Should I give writing rights to my splunk user on these files?

Not sure if it's gonna fix the missing logs problem but I will start with that ^^

Have a good day,

Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...