Getting Data In

Parsing NetIQ DRA data from Windows Application Event Log

PebbleHG
Engager

I have some entries in WinEventLog://Application coming from NetIQ DRA. I couldn't find any add-ons for DRA on Splunkbase, so I'm reaching out for guidance on how to identify KV pairs within the Message field and extract them.

I can see that OOTB, Splunk has configs in etc/system/local/props.conf and transforms.conf that will extract KV pairs delimited by "=" or ":". In this case, the segregation is by spaces and/or tabs, and some of the keys (field names) have spaces as well, so I have to intelligently identify which portions are fields and which portions are values.

Compounding the issue is that some keys and values are on separate lines; for example, take a look at TransactionID and its value in my sample event. I also need to account for the potential of a field containing multiple values, such as "Member Added".

Any hints or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Message=Action                   MemberAdd
ObjectType        Group
AssistantAdmin DOMAIN\joeblow-a
Target                   DOMAIN\LA.SVC
Domain Controller           SERVERNAME006
Member Added DOMAIN\SERVERNAME603$
Member Added DOMAIN\SERVERNAME604$
UTC Date
                                Wednesday, November 14, 2018
UTC Time
                                3:19:16 PM
AssistantAdmin
                OnePoint             OnePoint://CN=Admin\, Joe Blow,OU=Admin,OU=IT,OU=Users,OU=Town,DC=DOMAIN,DC=DOMAIN,DC=org
Member Added
                OnePoint                OnePoint://CN=SERVER603,OU=Prod,OU=Servers,OU=Computers,OU=Town,DC=DOMAIN,DC=DOMAIN,DC=org
                OnePoint                OnePoint://CN=SERVER604,OU=Prod,OU=Servers,OU=Computers,OU=Town,DC=DOMAIN,DC=DOMAIN,DC=org
Target
                OnePoint                OnePoint://CN=LA.SVC,OU=Prod,OU=Roles,OU=Security,OU=Groups,OU=Town,DC=DOMAIN,DC=DOMAIN,DC=org
TransactionID
                59E98034949344d98B716B11B00A722D
Sequence Number
ReturnCode       0x0
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...