Getting Data In

Network folder monitoring

uagraw01
Builder

Hello Splunker

In my request, I want to monitor the below files, which are under the network folder. I have configured indexes.conf, props.conf, inputs.conf & transforms.conf but nothing is working for me to get data into Splunk. Please check my config and help or suggest me if any changes are required.

inputs.conf :

[monitor://\\WALVAU-SCADA-1\d$\CM\alarmreports\outgoing*]
disabled = false
index = scada
host = WALVAU-SCADA-1
sourcetype = cm_scada_xml

indexes.conf :

[scada]
coldPath = $SPLUNK_DB/scada/colddb
enableDataIntegrityControl = 0
enableTsidxReduction = 0
homePath = $SPLUNK_DB/scada/db
maxTotalDataSizeMB = 512000
thawedPath = $SPLUNK_DB/scada/thaweddb

props.conf :

[cm_scada_xml]
KEEP_EMPTY_VALS = false
KV_MODE = xml
LINE_BREAKER = <\/eqtext:EquipmentEvent>()
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 24
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
SEDCMD-first = s/^.*<eqtext:EquipmentEvent/<eqtext:EquipmentEvent/g
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3f%Z
TIME_PREFIX = ((?<!ReceiverFmInstanceName>))<eqtext:EventTime>
TRUNCATE = 100000000
category = Custom
disabled = false
pulldown_type = true
TRANSFORMS-remove-xml-footer = remove-xml-footer
TRANSFORMS-keep-came-in-and-went-out-states = keep-came-in-and-went-out-states
FIELDALIAS-fields_scada_xml = "eqtext:EquipmentEvent.eqtext:ID.eqtext:Location.eqtext:PhysicalLocation.AreaID" AS area "eqtext:EquipmentEvent.eqtext:ID.eqtext:Location.eqtext:PhysicalLocation.ElementID" AS element "eqtext:EquipmentEvent.eqtext:ID.eqtext:Location.eqtext:PhysicalLocation.EquipmentID" AS equipment "eqtext:EquipmentEvent.eqtext:ID.eqtext:Location.eqtext:PhysicalLocation.ZoneID" AS zone "eqtext:EquipmentEvent.eqtext:ID.eqtext:Description" AS description "eqtext:EquipmentEvent.eqtext:ID.eqtext:MIS_Address" AS mis_address "eqtext:EquipmentEvent.eqtext:Detail.State" AS state "eqtext:EquipmentEvent.eqtext:Detail.eqtext:EventTime" AS event_time "eqtext:EquipmentEvent.eqtext:Detail.eqtext:MsgNr" AS msg_nr "eqtext:EquipmentEvent.eqtext:Detail.eqtext:OperatorID" AS operator_id "eqtext:EquipmentEvent.eqtext:Detail.ErrorType" AS error_type "eqtext:EquipmentEvent.eqtext:Detail.Severity" AS severity

transforms.conf :

[remove-xml-footer]
REGEX = <\/eqtexo:EquipmentEventReport>
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

[keep-came-in-and-went-out-states]
REGEX = <State>(?!CAME_IN|WENT_OUT).*?<\/State>
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

uagraw01_0-1709010398970.png

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ingesting files over the network from CIFS share can be tricky.

1) Too many monitored files cause performance issues (but that might be an issue when it works in the first place)

2) The user the splunkd.exe process runs with must be able to access the share. Since there is no additional authentication possible it works only in a domain environment if you run the forwarder process under domain account and grant this account proper permissions to the share (could also work - never tried it - if the share was public but that's not a good idea).

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @uagraw01,

please could you better describe your architecture?

have you a stand alone Splunk server?

have you a Forwarder or folders to monitor are accessed by the Splunk server?

which user are you usig to run Splunk on the the system accessing the folders to monior? have this user the grants to read the files?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

uagraw01
Builder

@gcusello I have a standalone Windows Splunk server, and from the same server I can able to access the network folder as provided in the screenshot earlier.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @uagraw01 ,

please try to use this header in the inputs.conf stanza:

[monitor://\\WALVAU-SCADA-1\d$\CM\alarmreports\outgoing\*.xml]

Ciao.

Giuseppe

uagraw01
Builder

@gcusello  I have already tested by adding the below string to the monitoring stranza. But no luck was found.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @uagraw01 ,

as @PickleRick said, check if the user you're using to run Splunk has the grants to access the shared folder,

Then think to use a Universal Forwarder on the server that has the shared folder: is more sure and efficient.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

@gcusello 
Till to 10/30/2023 we received the events by using the same approach but the same I am using the same configuration settings but nothing worked at all.

uagraw01_0-1709024653930.png

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @uagraw01 ,

probably something changed!
analyze from scratch the input, starting from thetimestamp, that I dont see where it comes from.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

@gcusello @PickleRick I have changed my approach. I have used one script which copy the files from the network folder and paste it to local folder and changed the monitoring stranza in inputs.conf but this also not worked. Below I changed in inputs.conf 

[monitor://C:\Windows\Temp\outgoing\*.xml]
disabled = false
index = new_demo_scada
host = VIDI
sourcetype = new_demo_scada

props & transform remains same.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK.

1. I assume you restarted the UF after doing all those config changes.

2. Do you get any other data from this forwarder?

0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

@PickleRick I restarted the Splunk standalone server where I put the files.

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @uagraw01,

If there are too many files in that folder you can try adding "ignoreOlderThan"  setting in monitor stanza;

[monitor://\\WALVAU-SCADA-1\d$\CM\alarmreports\outgoing*]
disabled = false
index = scada
host = WALVAU-SCADA-1
sourcetype = cm_scada_xml
ignoreOlderThan = 24h
If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

uagraw01
Builder

@scelikok I tried but No luck found.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Anyway, regardless of the reason, if it used to work and stop, it would be prudent to troubleshoot for the cause instead of blindly trying to add a setting here and there.

Check your splunkd.log on the forwarder for errors. Check output of

splunk list inputstatus

and

splunk list monitor
0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

@PickleRick 
I am getting below issues while executing your suggested command "splunk list inputstatus" . Can you please tell me what issue you can see by referring to below screenshot?

uagraw01_0-1709122518567.png

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Permissions issue?

0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

@PickleRick Does the highlighted things are related to permission related issue ?

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

See further up if there are any files from those directories listed.

0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

@PickleRick 

Below is a screenshot of test server files being perfectly monitored in Splunk.

uagraw01_2-1709127956720.png

Below screenshot belongs to production server and the same file creating an issue for monitoring in Splunk(issued server).

uagraw01_3-1709127978706.png

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's _not_ what I was saying. If something is OK in one environment and not OK in another you must compare differences between environments.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...