Getting Data In

Mitigationn Vs Detection use case with Peakflow Arbor logs

josefa
Path Finder

I have some Peakflow - Arbor logs, two types of logs are of interest: "Host Detection alert" and "TMS mitigation"

Host Detection alert carries attacked Ip information and the alertid and the TMS mitigation logs has the alertid on its name, automatically generated from a Host Detection alert.

We need to create an use case where, having filtered the Host Detection alert logs by attacked ip (we use a lookup to add a bussiness field depending on the attacked ip), get the according alertid in the TMS mitigation logs.

For example, this would be the logs for a detection with mitigation:

• alertid=500841
  • attackedip=1.1.1.1
  • the two types of logs "Host Detection" and "TMS mitigation"

Jun 9 05:54:22 arbor-cp pfsp: Host Detection alert #500841, start 2016-06-09 10:54:12 GMT, duration 9, direction incoming, host 1.1.1.1, signatures (Total Traffic), impact 236.23 Mbps/49.67 Kpps, importance 2, managed_objects ("C-xxxx"), (parent managed object "nil")
Jun 9 06:02:46 arbor-cp pfsp: Host Detection alert #500841, start 2016-06-09 10:54:12 GMT, duration 508, stop 2016-06-09 11:02:40 GMT, , importance 2, managed_objects ("C-xxxx"), is now done, (parent managed object "nil")
Jun 9 05:54:30 arbor-cp pfsp: TMS mitigation 'Alert 500841 Auto-Mitigation' started at 2016-06-09 10:54:29, leader arbor-cp
Jun 9 06:02:47 arbor-cp pfsp: TMS mitigation 'Alert 500841 Auto-Mitigation' stopped at 2016-06-09 11:02:47, leader arbor-cp

My search looked something like this source=*arbor* "TMS mitigation" alertid=* | join alertid [search "Host Detection" alertid=* | lookup subredes ip as dest_ip | search empresa=corporativo* | table alertid] | table alertid but I don't seem to be getting the results I expect.

the alertid field is an alias for the fields detection_alertid ( alertid from events with Host Detection alert) and *mitigation_alertid (alertid from events with TMS mitigation)

Any help is well appreciated, thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

source=*arbor* "TMS mitigation" OR "Host Detection" alertid=* | rex (?<log_type>Host Detection|TMS mitigation)" | lookup subredes ip as dest_ip | stats values(log_type) as log_types values(businesses) as businesses by alertid | where mvcount(log_types)=2 | table alertid
0 Karma

josefa
Path Finder

Hello, thank you for your help, but this doesn't seem to be working either.

Another fact I haven't explain, and that might be helpful, I'm using alertid as an alias for the fields detection_alertid (for the alertid in the Host Detection events) and mitigation_alertid (for the alertid in TMS Mitigation events), which I realized now that it may not be working the way I was expecting 😕

When I run the search at some point of time to get the alertids I get results like this:
detection_alertid: 5
mitigation_alertid: 4
alertid=4

If I manually check for each of these alertids, I can see how all but one alert id is in both event types (which makes sense because detection_alertid = 5 and mitigation_alertid=4; all mitigation events should have a host detection event, but not the other way around)

alertid are the same as mitigation_alertid (althought this doesn't seem to be consistent behaviour, so maybe the alias is not being correctly made)

If I run the search you provided, I only get one alertid (for what I intend to do, I should be getting the 4 mitigation_alertid)

On the other hand, the reason we need this search is because we need to report about detection Vs mitigation events for the different bussiness field, but the only way I can get the bussiness info is with the detection events, where I have an dest_ip field which I can add the bussiness field with the lookup.

Hope I made myself bit clearer and you can help me.

Kind regards

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...