Getting Data In

Is there a way to configure HEC to receive both HTTP and HTTPS inputs

mettomm
Explorer

Hi there all.
I am in a bit of a catch 22.  I have a process that cannot send data over HTTPS data because the HEC is using a self-signed certificate and the process I am using will not allow that.  However, I cannot send HTTP because the HEC is set for HTTPS input and so is getting rejected by the Splunk HEC.

Is there a way to have the HEC collect BOTH HTTP and HTTPS and set the requirement based on the input?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

mettomm
Explorer

Thanks for the information and the confirmation.  

We are looking at a second Heavy Forwarder with HEC set to receive HTTP.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mettomm
Explorer

Thanks for the information and the confirmation.  

We are looking at a second Heavy Forwarder with HEC set to receive HTTP.

0 Karma

mettomm
Explorer

Thanks.
That was my thoughts as well.  However, I  know that there are ways to "tweak" inputs in Splunk and was just wanting to make sure that there was no other way to accomplish this.  

I will let this question set for a few days and see if there are other thoughts.

Thanks

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

At least some LBs (like F5) can listen both http and https and do a redirect to wanted port. That way you can use both on same address before real HEC input and use only one protocol between LB/VIP and HEC-listener(s).

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Splunk HEC is enabled per instance and it can either be HTTP or HTTPS. Having a separate Heavy Fwd for HTTP and HTTS would help here.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...