Getting Data In

Is my process to add cold storage to my Splunk 6.2.2 indexer clustering setup correct?

serwin
Explorer

I'm looking to add cold storage to my Splunk 6.2.2 indexer clustering setup and just wanted to verify my process was the best.

I want to change splunk-launch.conf on each of my indexers to added an additional:

SPLUNK_DBC=C:\Path-to-cold-storage 

then in my indexer clustering config, just change the cold data storage to:

coldPath = $SPLUNK_DBC\event\event

Is this the best way to do this, or am i missing something? Also, would i leave my thawedPath as my home path?

Thanks

0 Karma

jnicholsenernoc
Path Finder

That looks good. If you are putting slow, cheap storage in make sure you test it out at full load and trigger a bucket roll to cold and make sure the whole thing doesn't lock up.

http://wiki.splunk.com/Things_I_wish_I_knew_then

"Think twice before putting warm and cold storage on separate file systems. While it may be tempting to put warm data on faster storage, as soon as you put cold data on separate storage moving buckets from warm to cold will become much more expensive I/O-wise because all data will now have to be read from the warm storage and then written to the cold storage, instead of the simple and quick inode move operation that can be used when both warm and cold are on the same storage. "

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...