Getting Data In

Is it really required to stop indexer services while adding another indexer?

ramesh12345
Explorer

I have one machine which is acting as an indexer as well as a search head. So, i want to add another indexer. So what is the procedure to do this and also what configurations files do I need to copy from the previous indexer?

Please help me.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

nilbak1
Communicator

Hi @ramesh12345
I assumed this as non-clustered indexer. What you have to do here is:

• Install Splunk Enterprise on the new server,
  • add to your search head a new search peer [Settings -- Distributed Search -- Search peer] and you are done
  • Modify outputs.conf of your forwarders and add this new indexer as well.

Hope, it clears your doubts.

0 Karma

ramesh12345
Explorer

Thank you very much for your reply @nilbak1. I have some other doubts is it really mandatory to copy indexes.conf to new indexer machine?

0 Karma

Steve_G_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You will probably want to copy the indexes.conf file over, to ensure that both indexers use the same settings. For example, assuming that the forwarders will be load balancing across both indexers, you'll need the same set of custom indexes on both indexers.

0 Karma

ramesh12345
Explorer

Thank you Steve for your response.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...