Getting Data In

Is it best practice to collect data from network drives using a heavy forwarder? I'm seeing performance issues.

dkeck
Influencer

Hello and good morning,

I have a heavy forwarder that takes inputs from several network drives and it's working fine so far.

The question I can't find an answer to in the Splunk docs is, is getting data from network drives best practice?

The thing is, I have performance problems. The data is indexed with a delay and I'm trying to figure out if maybe the network drives have a part in that.

Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated. A link to a Splunk doc would be perfect.

Thank you

1 Solution

dkeck
Influencer

Thank you 🙂

I found a different failure, repsonsible for the delay. Thank you very much anyway.

Several Servers in the outputs.conf where not reachable, so splunk retried all the time.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

dkeck
Influencer

Thank you 🙂

I found a different failure, repsonsible for the delay. Thank you very much anyway.

Several Servers in the outputs.conf where not reachable, so splunk retried all the time.

0 Karma

JeffSchumacher
Engager

I started seeing massive delays (5+ minutes, sometimes 10) after upgrading to 6.3.0 (Also having this problem is 6.3.1). I have about 60 UNC paths that I'm monitoring.

Changing to use the Universal Forwarder on the source of the logs worked around the massive delay problem for us,

dkeck
Influencer

I would like to except your answer..but theres not button for it...sry

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...