Getting Data In

Is DB Connect Compatible With IPv6?

LS_83
Observer

I haven't been able to find any documentation stating whether or not DB Connect is IPv6 compatible.  My customer has a requirement to migrate to IPv6 and I need to know if this app will still be able pull data from an MS-SQL DB once the protocol changes.

Labels (4)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk and its apps do not handle networking directly.  There is no reason why they will not do the job if the destination is addressable by the operating system's networking stack, IPv6 or IPv4.

0 Karma

LS_83
Observer

@yuanliu Thanks.  That was my initial thought as well, especially since I know the JDBC driver supports IPv6.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As with any requirement that is critical and is not sufficiently well docummented - I'd say try and see. Configure your test environment with IPv6, set up a data source for the DBConnect and verify if it works.

I don't see a reason why it shouldn't as long as your OS has properly configured IPv6 layer and your JVM can handle it (which should be a no-brainer - java has supported IPv6 connectivity for a long time now). But there can always be some unexpected quirks (like for example - some component could expect only IPv4 formatted addresses and couldn't handle IPv6 ones).

0 Karma

LS_83
Observer

I'll definitely be testing as soon as possible.  I'm in a situation where I'm forced to wait on some other folks before I can move forward.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Platform | Upgrading your Splunk Deployment to Python 3.9

Splunk initially announced the removal of Python 2 during the release of Splunk Enterprise 8.0.0, aiming to ...

From Product Design to User Insights: Boosting App Developer Identity on Splunkbase

co-authored by Yiyun Zhu & Dan Hosaka Engaging with the Community at .conf24 At .conf24, we revitalized the ...

Detect and Resolve Issues in a Kubernetes Environment

We’ve gone through common problems one can encounter in a Kubernetes environment, their impacts, and the ...