Getting Data In

Insert text into certain logs going to a 3rd party?

eblackburn
Path Finder

I'm looking to insert some text at our heavy forwarder into certain sourcetypes that a 3rd party running syslog-ng will see and be able to better identify what the logs are. For example, "IISLog", or "DHCPLog". Does anyone have any experience doing this?

Here's a sample log:

2021-01-26 20:12:28 192.168.58.11 POST /PerspectiveServices/SecureService.asmx - 443 - 192.168.49.24 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+SV1;+MS+Web+Services+Client+Protocol+4.0.30319.42000) - 200 0 0 26

This is an IIS log. I'd like to add the text somewhere (anywhere) into these logs. If it works, I'll do the same with some other sourcetypes. So the end result might be:

2021-01-26 20:12:28 192.168.58.11 IISLog POST /PerspectiveServices/SecureService.asmx - 443 - 192.168.49.24 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+SV1;+MS+Web+Services+Client+Protocol+4.0.30319.42000) - 200 0 0 26

We are sending them the logs from a heavy forwarder using syslog output. I was looking into potentially using SEDCMD within a props.conf file, but I'm not too experienced with doing this, and just getting started with RegEx.

Labels (5)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @eblackburn,

You use below sample. It is adding some text to end of the log since it is safer and easier.

props.conf
[iis_log]
TRANSFORMS-logtype = append_logtype

transforms.conf
[append_logtype]
REGEX = (?m)^(.*)$
FORMAT = $1 IISLog
DEST_KEY = _raw
If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @eblackburn,

You use below sample. It is adding some text to end of the log since it is safer and easier.

props.conf
[iis_log]
TRANSFORMS-logtype = append_logtype

transforms.conf
[append_logtype]
REGEX = (?m)^(.*)$
FORMAT = $1 IISLog
DEST_KEY = _raw
If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...