Getting Data In

Indexing a syslog file - doesnt give expected output

splunker12er
Motivator

Raw Logs:

Fri Mar 14 11:16:16 2014$SERVICEALERT$HOST1$SERVICE1$OK$PROCS OK: 1 process OK
Fri Mar 14 11:17:11 2014$HOSTALERT$HOST2$SERVICE2$WARNING$PROCS OK: 1 process WARNING 
Fri Mar 14 11:18:12 2014$HOSTEALERT$HOST3$SERVICE3$OK$PROCS OK: 1 process OK
Fri Mar 14 11:19:14 2014$SERVICEALERT$HOST4$SERVICE4$CRITICAL$PROCS OK: 1 process CRITICAL

I wanted to index the above _raw log with fields: "TIMESTAMP" ,"ALERTTYPE" ,"HOSTNAME" ,"SERVICENAME" ,"STATUS" ,"Description"

I set the props.conf & transforms.conf as below:

props.conf

[custom]
REPORT-search = extract_custom
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false

transforms.conf

[custom]
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
FORMAT = sourcetype::custom

[extract_custom]
DELIMS = "$"
FIELDS = "TIMESTAMP"$"ALERTTYPE"$"HOSTNAME"$"SERVICENAME"$"STATUS"$"Description"

I couldn't get the exptected output , am i missing something?

0 Karma

splunker12er
Motivator

I got the answer:

I made a mistake in transforms.conf - Below is the corercted one. ',' and not '$'

[custom]
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
FORMAT = sourcetype::custom

[extract_custom]
DELIMS = "$"
FIELDS = "TIMESTAMP","ALERTTYPE","HOSTNAME","SERVICENAME","STATUS","Description"
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Synthetic Monitoring: Not your Grandma’s Polyester! Tech Talk: DevOps Edition

Register today and join TekStream on Tuesday, February 28 at 11am PT/2pm ET for a demonstration of Splunk ...

Instrumenting Java Websocket Messaging

Instrumenting Java Websocket MessagingThis article is a code-based discussion of passing OpenTelemetry trace ...

Announcing General Availability of Splunk Incident Intelligence!

Digital transformation is real! Across industries, companies big and small are going through rapid digital ...