Getting Data In

Index naming convention

ojay
Path Finder

Hi,

Is there a recommendation or a guideline available by Splunk on naming convention for INDEXES

I have a new Splunk Enterprise environment at my company with a plan of roughly 70 data sources to be onboarded one after the other.

For example the Windows TA has 

I would be happy for each input i can get from you.

Thank you in advance,

Jay

Labels (4)
0 Karma

ojay
Path Finder

Thanks everyone, i have decided to create something like "technology_vendor"

Jay

0 Karma

SinghK
Builder

Just don't keep any spaces rest I will leave it to your imagination😉.

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi.. 

1. first best practice would be, as said on previous reply, to include source's name as part of index's name. 

maybe, if your company name is "test", you can name your indexes like, "test_windows", test_linux, test_firewall, etc

2. if you have a single splunk environment with dev/test/prod all under one splunk, then, you should have it like, .. dev_windows, test_windows, prod_windows, dev_firewall, dev_proxy, etc

3. how critical the logs are... maybe, you include that as part of the index. example, L1_windows, L2_windows, L3_windows

4. Application names can be included as part of index name... firwall_windows, wmi_windows, java_windows, etc.. 

5. business group names as part of index names.. ... sales_windows, custom_windows, etc

it all depends on how you want to segregate your logs. hope you got some ideas, thanks. 

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It’s hard to say what is the best way to naming indexes (or other knowledge objects). You could found some examples from splunk documents.

Personally I prefer to use <source system name>_{audit,tech,apps} or similar suffix to separate security level of events. Then it depends how big your enterprise is, how many parts are in “source system name” to keep it unique in your installations including e.g. AD. Usually this leads to use abbreviations for those.

But I’m sure that there are almost as many ways than users/admins. But if/when you already have master data you should utilize it for naming all splunk KOs.

r. Ismo

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...