Getting Data In

I have configured my universal forwarder port through the TCP port. Will data be lost if my server is rebooted?

ankithreddy777
Contributor

I am getting data to Splunk Universal Forwarder port through the TCP port. Then the data is forwarded to indexers. What if the server is rebooted, will there be the data loss? If not, how much time can data can be in hold until the server is restarted? What factors should I consider?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Given your updated, the answer is "probably". It all depends on how Cloud Foundry handles the loss of the destination. Because you are TCP (not UDP), the sending side knows when the receiving side is gone. Whether it looks for this or not, and if it does, how it handles this, will depend on the sender. So you need to check out how Cloud Foundry handles this. Most TCP senders do have a queue to handle these situations but it usually is not very big and fills up pretty quickly.

ankithreddy777
Contributor

thanks for the reply

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You have not given enough description of your topology and software in order for anyone to give you an answer that is worth anything.

0 Karma

ankithreddy777
Contributor

I am getting tcp streams of data from clould foundry. My Splunk UF is picking the data trough TCP port and forwarding it to indexers. Does data is lost if Splunk UF is rebooted? or data loss depends on the source architecture(clould foundry)?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...