Getting Data In

How to view same results with different timezone users

sridharreddy

Splunkers,

Question:

All my data sources and Indexers and Search heads are in PST time zone and Indexer time zones are PST. I have users in different timezones EST,CST,PST . My question is when a EST user searches in search head for (3.00pm to 4.00pm timerange) and CST user searches in search head for (3.00pm to 4.00pm timerange) will the results same or different for both the users?
I dont want to know how to change user timezone in settings and also in props.conf. I want how to view the same results even though the users are in different timezones.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The answer is: it depends on each user's personal settings. Go to <Your Login Name> -> Account settings -> Time zone and set it to what you desire. From that point on, the Timepicker will normalize to that Time zone. If you set it to US/Central then pick Yesterday, you will get a different set of values than a user who has a setting of US/Pacific, just as you would expect/desire.

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

So with everything being indexed in PST, a user in CST would have data 2 hours shifted from a user in PST, even though the data itself is all the same, the time picker goes off of the user preferences.

you can either make sure everyone is listed as PST users (which you've mentioned you don't want to do)
or you can add this to syntaxes (given that your data has an offset field that says what timezone it is in, like -5:00):

|base search earliest=just a little before the earliest targeted date latest=just a little ahead of the latest targeted date
| addinfo 
| convert mktime(dateTime) as epochDateTime timeformat="%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%6N %:z" 
| eval shifted_time=epochDateTime-(abs(date_zone)*60) 
| eval shiftedMaxTime=info_max_time-(abs(date_zone)*60) 
| eval shiftedMinTime=info_min_time-(abs(date_zone)*60) 
| eval earliest=relative_time(shiftedMinTime, "+1w@w1")|convert ctime(earliest) as earliest timeformat="%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%6N %:z" 
| eval latest=relative_time(shiftedMaxTime, "@w1")|convert ctime(latest) as latest timeformat="%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%6N %:z" 
| eval offset=case(like(earliest,"%12:00") OR like(latest,"%12:00"),43200, like(earliest,"%11:00") OR like(latest,"%11:00"),39600, like(earliest,"%10:00") OR like(latest,"%-10:00"),36000, like(earliest,"%09:00") OR like(latest,"%09:00"),32400, like(earliest,"%08:00") OR like(latest,"%08:00"),28800, like(earliest,"%07:00") OR like(latest,"%07:00"),25200, like(earliest,"%06:00") OR like(latest,"%06:00"),21600, like(earliest,"%05:00") OR like(latest,"%05:00"),18000, like(earliest,"%04:00") OR like(latest,"%04:00"),14400, like(earliest,"%03:00") OR like(latest,"%03:00"),10800, like(earliest,"%02:00") OR like(latest,"%02:00"),7200, like(earliest,"%01:00") OR like(latest,"%01:00"),3600, like(earliest,"%00:00") OR like(latest,"%00:00"),0)
|eval earliest=strptime(earliest,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%6N %:z")-offset
|eval latest=strptime(latest,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%6N %:z")-offset
| where shifted_time>=earliest AND shifted_time<=latest 
| eval _time=shifted_time+offset

this could be trimmed down or edited to fit exactly what you need. We have a similar situation where all data is indexed CST but data comes from other timezones and users login from other timezones. This specific chunk of syntax works for our set of needs. If you don't need to worry about data coming in from other timezones, just the users, the offset eval could be severely trimmed down to just include PST/PDT

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...