Getting Data In

How to troubleshoot why 90 data data retention configuration is not being applied?

rblalock

I want to freeze all data older than 90 days.

My /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/indexes.conf file looks like this

[default]

[_audit]

[main]
rotatePeriodInSecs = 60
coldToFrozenDir = /logs/frozen
maxTotalDataSizeMB = 400000
frozenTimePeriodInSecs = 7776000

But I still have data that is up to six months old. Can someone suggest other places to look to correct this?

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

See below link which explains various properties involved in setting up the retention policy and bucket life cycle.

http://wiki.splunk.com/Deploy:BucketRotationAndRetention

Basically, you need to setup maxHotSpanSecs and maxWarmDBCount to values so that your data bucket is getting rolled over to frozen. It will be deleted only after it's moved to frozen state.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

First, verify the value stuck by running splunk cmd btool indexes list main.

Then, check if the bucket containing that old data happens to also contain newer data. It'll get rolled when the youngest event is older than the frozen period.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...