Getting Data In

How to squash host and source fields?

Omar
Explorer

Dear Splunkers, 

I am having an issue with the process of squashing fields. When searching for events with no hosts or source I don't get any results: 

index=<my_index> 
| where isnull(source)

Does Splunk drop events after being squashed? Because logically, there should be events on my index that are missing the field host and source.

Labels (3)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Omar,

at first is very strange that the source field is null because every event must have a value in this field.

Anyway, if you want to search events without values in the source field, please try this:

index=<my_index> NOT source=*

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

Omar
Explorer

Hello @gcusello

Thank you for your response.

Actually, yes, this could happen due to a process of squashing

when a certain threshold is reached indexers drop (host, source) fields to avoid explosion in memory/processing overhead. 

what confuses me is I am unable to find those events, so I'm wondering if Splunk is dropping the entire events or just those fields.

Bellow search shows if you have this issue or not. This only works with large indexes: 

index=_internal source=*license_usage.log* type="Usage" idx="my_index"
| eval h=if(len(h)=0 OR isnull(h),"(SQUASHED)",h)
| eval s=if(len(s)=0 OR isnull(s),"(SQUASHED)",s)
| eval st=if(len(st)=0 OR isnull(st),"(UNKNOWN)",st)
| fields _time,b,h,st
| bin _time span=1d
| stats sum(b) AS volume by h, _time,st
| stats avg(volume) AS avgVolume max(volume) AS maxVolume by h,st
| eval avgVolumeGB=round(avgVolume/1024/1024/1024,3)
| eval maxVolumeGB=round(maxVolume/1024/1024/1024,3)
| fields h,st, avgVolumeGB, maxVolumeGB
| rename avgVolumeGB AS "average" maxVolumeGB AS "peak",st AS "sourcetype", h AS "hostname"
| sort - average
| head 10

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Omar,

it's the first time I see this behavior, I found that when there's a congestion (for full queues) there's a delay  in internal logs indexing but I never found that host an source fields are dropped!

Anyway, I hint to analyze why there's this congestion and found a solution, maybe it's a too slow storage or maybe you need more resources for your servers or there's a queue problem for a wrong configuration.

Anyway, open a ticket to Splunk Support for this.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...