Getting Data In

How to split data to multiple indexes on the same indexer (index1,index2) from one input source from one Heavyforwarder

vksplunk1
Explorer

Hi,

Could you please let me know How to split data to multiple indexes on the same indexer (index1,index2) from one input source from one Heavyforwarder

I tried with the following configuration but all the data going to once index that is defined in inputs.conf. If I remove index from inputs.conf all the events are going to main index.  

Thank you in ad

Here my configuration and data:

INPUTS.CONF
======
[monitor:///opt/splunk/var/log/tesData]
disabled = false
host = heaveforwarder1

PROPS.CONF
===========
[source::///opt/splunk/var/log/tesData]
TRANSFORMS-routing=vendorData,secureData

TRANSFORMS.conf
==========
[vendorData]
REGEX=5617605039838520
DEST_KEY=_MetaData:Index
FORMAT=index1

[secureData]
REGEX=6794850084423218
DEST_KEY=_MetaData:Index
FORMAT=index2

testdata:

[08/June/2022:18:23:07] VendorID=5038 Code=C AcctID=5617605039838520
[08/June/2022:18:23:22] VendorID=9109 Code=A AcctID=6794850084423218

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Generally, there's no way to "split" or "duplicate" an event while indexing. After initial input the event is processed as a whole. You can modify it - trim it, add to it, rewrite parts of it, modify its metadata but it's still within the single event. The only thing that can be "done multiple" with a single event is routing.

So theoretically you could send an event to both the original indexer(s) to one index and to the tcp (so called "syslog") output where it would be re-ingested and processed from the start. But it's a very ugly solution.

0 Karma

vksplunk1
Explorer

Thank you for the response.  To make it clear, I am NOT trying to split the event. I am trying to send the events from the same source to same indexer but to a different INDEXE( index1 or index2 based on the regex )

0 Karma

jamie00171
Communicator

It might be worth taking a look at this .conf presentation: PLA1154C - Advanced pipeline configurations with INGEST_EVAL and CLONE_SOURCETYPE from 2020 .conf. The last example looks very similar to what you are trying to do, you can watch it here: https://conf.splunk.com/watch/conf-online.html 

All of the configuration for the examples is on github: https://github.com/silkyrich/ingest_eval_examples 

vksplunk1
Explorer

Thank you for the response. 

Regardless of the REGEX  ins transforms.conf in HF, the data always sending to the index in inputs.conf

Seems like splunk not allowing to overide index specified in inpouts.conf

TRANSFORMS.conf
======
#[cdmops]
#REGEX=.*service=cdmops2.*
#DEST_KEY=_MetaData:Index
#FORMAT=cdmops

#[cdmops2]
#REGEX=.*service=cdmops2.*
#DEST_KEY=_MetaData:Index
#FORMAT=cdmops2

Data:
=====
2022/06/01 10:45:50 service=cdmops server=node3 score=50 seq=55041
2022/06/01 10:45:50 service=cdmops2 server=node1 score=17 seq=55042

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No. Splunk allows you to manipulate metadata during event ingestion.

Question is - where are you trying to do that.

1) Do you indeed have Heavy Forwarder or a Universal Forwarder on the machine you're reading the logfiles on?

2) Do you send the data directly to indexer(s)? Or do you have any intermediate forwarder(s) in the path? If so, what kind of forwarders are those?

3) Where are you putting those props/transforms? (on which component?)

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK. You're right. I forgot about this wonderfully misnamed feature 🙂

You can indeed split the processing pipeline and reinject the same event back for another run.

0 Karma

vksplunk1
Explorer

Here is my correct  INPUTS.conf.  Missing index in the earlier inouts.conf

INPUTS.CONF
======
[monitor:///opt/splunk/var/log/testData]
disabled = false
host = Haveyforwarder1
index = index1

0 Karma

jamie00171
Communicator

Hi @vksplunk1 

From the docs:

The REGEX must have at least one capturing group, even if the FORMAT does
    not reference any capturing groups.

so it might be worth trying to add a capturing group to the regex?

Thanks, 

Jamie

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...