Getting Data In

How to search for events with domains on DNS Blocklist?

waJesu
Path Finder

I have lookup table with a DNS blocklist. What query can I use to search for events with any of the blocklisted domains. I had received advice to create a csv file with two columns: "Domain" and "suspicious" which is set to 1 for all the domains. Then I would search for the dns sourcetype and suspicious=1. This did not work.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

@waJesu 

Hi,

Let's assume your events have a field named url_domain. You can combine your lookup with a subsearch to filter events:

index=main [| inputlookup blocklist.csv where suspicious=1 | table Domain | rename Domain as url_domain ]

This expands to, for example:

index=main ( ( url_domain="foo.example.com" ) OR ( url_domain="bar.example.com" ) OR ( url_domain="baz.example.com" ) )

You can also use lookups for filtering in the search pipeline:

index=main
``` perform pre-filtering tasks here ```
| lookup blocklist.csv Domain as url_domain output suspicious

| search suspicious=1

0 Karma

waJesu
Path Finder

@tscroggins Thank you for the assistance. I tried index=main 

| lookup blocklist.csv Domain as url_domain output suspicious
| search suspicious=1

It says  "the destination suspicious was not found in the blocklist.csv. My table looks like this:

waJesu_0-1679310636911.png

I am not sure where I missed it. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...