Getting Data In

How to only show the last indexed data in a report?

changux
Builder

Hi all.

I have a lot of reports/dashboards about a particular sourcetype that receives data (from a forwarder) one time per day. Now, my requirements changed and I need to send data many times per day. My optimal solution can be "overwrite" the last data with the upcoming data, but I think that this is impossible (the data old remains inside the indexer). How can I only report on the last indexed data? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

... | eval indextime=_indextime | sort 0 - indextime | dedup List Key Fields Here

sundareshr
Legend

If you know the data will be sent at a specific frequency, you could use that in your search. For example, if the index gets data every hour, your could write your search like this

index=yourindex sourcetype=specficsourcetype earliest=-1h@h | rest of your search here

If the frequency is indeterminate, then you can use metadata to find the last time index recd data, like this

index=yourindex sourcetype=specficsourcetype [| metadata types=sourcetypes index=yourindex | eval earliest=lastTime | table earliest] | rest of your search here. 
0 Karma

changux
Builder

Hi. Thanks! When i ran:

[| metadata types=sourcetypes index=bucle_cm | eval earliest=lastTime | table earliest] ...

I receive an error:

Error in 'metadata': You must specify a 'type' argument to 'metadata', as in 'type=hosts'.

Sure that types=sourcetypes is ok?

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Should be type=sourcetypes

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Well it'll depend upon how your data is. Does all your data have same timestamp? OR if all events are ingested within a certain period like starts at 11 and finished by 11:30 ?Does the source/filename is different between different time it's received?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...