Getting Data In

How to monitor multiple source types in same folder

ilv2splunk
Explorer

BlackBerry servers have many different .txt log files all created in the one folder.

I have a universal forwarder installed on a win 2k8 server which I have setup the following inputs.conf

[monitor://C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logs\20*]
Sourcetype=BES_Server_Logs

I get errors like the following.

06-18-2012 14:10:33.062 +1000 ERROR TailingProcessor - matching C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logs\20120606\ against ^C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Research In Motion\\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\\Logs\\20[^\\]*\\$

I was hoping to setup multiple monitor stanzas for the different log files to have different sourcetypes. Is this possible?

eg:
[monitor://C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logs\20*\server_name_MAGT_*_001.txt]

Log files are named like this

C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logs\20120101\server_name_MAGT_20120101_001.txt

C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logs\20120101\server_name_ALRT_20120101_001.txt

C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logs\20120101\server_name_BBIM_20120101_001.txt

Should I use props.conf to rename the sourcetype, if so where should the props.conf live and how specific should the regex be for the files?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Our expert said -

Yeah this would have to be done on a heavy indexer,
Which is also good for doing the parsing CPU processing on a heavy forwarder instead of the indexer.

We could send this file(s) through syslog (/etc/rsyslog.conf) to heavy forwarder too, then the heavy forwarder would transform the file.

Only thing I would ask if the timestamps are going to be different. That would propose a new problem to solve. Having three different date formats in one file?

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Sorry - wrong thread ; -)

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

This looks like a known issue: SPL-47988 " ERROR TailingProcessor - matching X against Y "

It is scheduled to be fixed in 4.3.4

Here is another person with the same question, and a work-around from support:

ERROR - TailingProcessor - matching...

As it turns out, my original answer was correct - if this bug didn't exist...

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

You could do it like this

[default]
hostname=yourservername

[monitor://C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Research In Motion\\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\\Logs\\...\\*_MAGT_*_001.txt]
sourcetype=BES_magt

[monitor://C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Research In Motion\\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\\Logs\\...\\*_ALRT_*_001.txt]
sourcetype=BES_alrt

[monitor://C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Research In Motion\\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\\Logs\\...\\*_BBIM_*_001.txt]
    sourcetype=BES_bbim

This would all part of inputs.conf. You could put it under
C:\Program Files\Splunkforwarder\etc\system\local

0 Karma

Dev999
Communicator

I am trying to do this with 6.0.1. Just wonder if you get it working. Thanks.

0 Karma

ilv2splunk
Explorer

Thats what I thought I could do but when I do that i get the following errors in splunkd.log

06-19-2012 07:41:00.066 +1000 ERROR TailingProcessor - matching C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logs\20120619\ against ^C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logs\.\[^\]MAGT[^\]*_001.txt$

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...