Getting Data In

How to monitor HD free space on servers?

jbleich
Path Finder

Do I have to have the Splunk forwarder loaded on every server, or is there a way to send that info to a syslog server and have Splunk read it from there?

I'm basically wanting to get an alert anytime an HD on any of my servers reaches 10% or less.....

Anybody done this?

Tags (3)
0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You could aggregate you syslog feeds to one central server, and then read in syslog to Splunk on that server. However, you would need to configure your own script to monitor disk utilization and write that to syslog. The Splunk UF and TA-nix has a built in script that will run and report back on the disk utilization. That does require the app to be installed on all your boxes though.

0 Karma

jbleich
Path Finder

So i could load the UF on all of my servers and then just set it to report disk utilization to an index i create in splunk? the UF on every box isnt a concern as long as it doesnt require a lotof resources, having it on all boxes could open a pandoras box of stuff I'd like to do from each server so that might be good 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...