Getting Data In

How to install a remote app into a Splunk Search Head using REST API?

sibiv196

I need to write a python script to install an app/add-on to the remote Splunk search head.

The app file ".spl" and ".tgz" is in the server which hosts my python script.

As far as i understand from all the errors that I got and from documentation, bot services/app/local and services/app/appinstall either searches for a local file or splunkbase but never from a remote server 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

based on documentation and other answers the local in this content means splunk SH server not the local server where you are running your python script! So you must 1st copy your app to target splunk SH server and then you can use a REST api to install it "locally" on that server. See e.g. https://community.splunk.com/t5/Getting-Data-In/Using-the-REST-API-to-install-an-app-from-a-file/td-...

r. Ismo

0 Karma

sibiv196

Thank you @isoutamo  for the reply. 
But is there any known way to install an app from remote server. Thinking of ways even beyond REST API

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think that only way to install into remote server is via GUI. Just login to remote server (SH or HF and if you have individual indexers then also those can use).  Then open Apps on top navigation bar and select Manage Apps. Then Install App from File and follow instructions.

If you have CI/CD pipeline or possibility to log on shell level to those server, then you can do a scripted installation. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...