Getting Data In

How to get elapsed time between two events

politrons
Explorer

I'm trying to calculate the milliseconds between two events by same transactionId, and then show in a timechart

Here my current query

"My event 1" | stats latest(_time) as time_login by transactionId |join transactionId [search "My event 2" | stats latest(_time) as time_finish by transactionId] | eval difference=time_finish-time_login 

This query works really slow and half of the time it does not work, but if I try to add this to the end of the query

| timechart avg(difference) 

Labels (2)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @politrons,

did you tried to do all the calculation in one stats?

something like this:

"My event 1" OR "My event 2" 
| stats 
   earliest(eval(if(searchmatch("My event 1"),_time,"")) as time_login 
   latest((eval(if(searchmatch("My event 2"),_time,"")) as time_finish 
   BY transactionId
| eval difference=time_finish-time_login 

the only problem (present also in your solution) is if one of the time_login or time_finish is outside the search time period.

Remember that Splunk isn't a DB, so join command (that all the people coming from SQL used to use) is a command to use only when there isn't any other solution!

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...