Getting Data In

How to fix UNIX log parsing issue?

pm2012
Explorer

Hi Team,

I could see logs coming from UNIX devices in the below format

<38>Aug 1 13:20:29 dns.customer.net 10.32.9.5 sshd[14171]: Failed password for michal from 10.32.7.28 port 58255 ssh2

When i look into the selected events on the left panel these logs are not getting parse, like username, source ip , port, protocol. Any suggestion please. Logs are coming through rsyslog mechanism using TCP input from the device

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

Can you describe your environment? Single node, distributed environment, OS, have you UF for collection or HF? Is there any HF before your indexers / SH(s)? Where you have installed this TA?

r. Ismo

0 Karma

jotne
Builder

You are using Smart Mode or Verbose Mode, not Fast Mode

0 Karma

pm2012
Explorer

Smartmode

0 Karma

jotne
Builder

You have the Splunk Add-on for Unix and Linux installed?

0 Karma

pm2012
Explorer

Yeah it is installed

0 Karma

Simple_Search
Path Finder

Based on the tagging of SYSLOG based on the front tag, I would assume that this is being ingested into a syslog server and then sent to an Indexer or Heavy Forwarder. If this is the case, the Splunk Add-on is not going to help you in this situation if this is the case. I usually ingest the data from SYSLOG and then use regex to extract the field names when I am conducting searches.

If this is being monitored on the server that is using a Universal Forwarder, then ensure that you are monitoring the /var/log locations with the splunkbase app on the forwarder and on the indexer.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...