Getting Data In

How to fix BTree unexpected offset 0 while on order 1?

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm getting these failures after a prior disk corruption.

ERROR TailReader [1876879 tailreader0] - Ignoring path="/somepath/somefile" due to: BTree::Exception: unexpected resulting offset 0 while on order 1, starting from offset 2056 node offset: 53209432 order: 255 keys: {  } children: { 0 }

I thought I had ejected buckets affected by the corruption; in addition, recent ingestions all go into buckets created after the corruption.

What can I do to fix this?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you had bucket problems, the error would come from another component 🙂

Normally with stale fishbucket entries and similar problems you'd simply remove a particular entry from the fishbucket but in this case it looks that the fishbucket database itself is damaged so you probably need to remove whole fishbucket - stop splunkd, remove var/lib/splunk/fishbucket, start splunkd

You might want to fiddle with the db first. If I remember correctly (but I wouldn't bet any money on it), it's a berkeleydb so it might be possible to repair it.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Indeed this error is related to ingestion failure.  I just thought the BTree problem is inside the buckets.  To clean up, do I just delete everything in fishbucket?  Reingestion is not a problem, but I do not want to cause other behavior changes.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you had bucket problems, the error would come from another component 🙂

Normally with stale fishbucket entries and similar problems you'd simply remove a particular entry from the fishbucket but in this case it looks that the fishbucket database itself is damaged so you probably need to remove whole fishbucket - stop splunkd, remove var/lib/splunk/fishbucket, start splunkd

You might want to fiddle with the db first. If I remember correctly (but I wouldn't bet any money on it), it's a berkeleydb so it might be possible to repair it.

Tags (1)

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Removing databases in fishbucket restored order in my ingestions.  Thank you!

For the record, I preserved fishbucket/db/ which does not contain any BTree. (Had I known this, I could have done this while cleaning up disk corruption.  There should be no assumption that fishbucket escaped corruption.)

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is a tailreader message so it should be about ingestion, not indexed data.

You might need to clean fishbucket (of course it will reingest all monitor inputs).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New in Observability - Improvements to Custom Metrics SLOs, Log Observer Connect & ...

The latest enhancements to the Splunk observability portfolio deliver improved SLO management accuracy, better ...

Improve Data Pipelines Using Splunk Data Management

Register Now   This Tech Talk will explore the pipeline management offerings Edge Processor and Ingest ...

3-2-1 Go! How Fast Can You Debug Microservices with Observability Cloud?

Register Join this Tech Talk to learn how unique features like Service Centric Views, Tag Spotlight, and ...