Getting Data In

How to find IP address of a host reporting in Splunk?

iKickFish
Explorer

Hello fellow splunkers,

Fairly remedial question but I have a heavy forwarder that has stopped reporting to splunk and need to find the IP of it. I currently run the following search in order to find all hosts reporting within a specific time period but I can only see hosts name and not IP. Is there any way of easily location the IP of a host?

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd group=tcpin_connections | stats first(version) by hostname

0 Karma
1 Solution

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Just do your stats by sourceIp instead of hostname?

Or do:

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd group=tcpin_connections | stats first(version) latest(sourceIp) by hostname

View solution in original post

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Just do your stats by sourceIp instead of hostname?

Or do:

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd group=tcpin_connections | stats first(version) latest(sourceIp) by hostname

iKickFish
Explorer

Excellent!

Thanks Frank!

0 Karma

ranjitbrhm1
Communicator

Ping the hostname perhaps on a terminal? It resolves by itself.

0 Karma

iKickFish
Explorer

The forwarder is down currently, I want to find the IP of it from when it was last reporting successfully.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...