Getting Data In

How to filter events based on event's datetime as current date?

vtsguerrero
Contributor

Hello! Sup?
I've been into some trouble when comparing datetimes to strings, I know I should convert'em.
Logs I've received are in this format:

CAMPAIGN_START_TIME
00:01:05

CAMPAIGN_END_TIME
00:06:12

CAMPAIGN_DATE
04/08/2015

So, what I did, was create a datetime based on these fields:

| eval CAMPAIGN_COMPLETE_DATE = (CAMPAIGN_DATE+ " " + CAMPAIGN_START_TIME)

The thing is, I need to make splunk filter results, based on this date, not the acctual _time filter.
So I was gonna compare CAMPAIGN_COMPLETE_DATE to "Today"

| eval Today = strftime(now(), "%d/%m/%Y %H:%M:%S")

But I'm having some issues due to string comparisson to datetime.
Does anyone know how can I solve this?
Thanks in advance!

- Vinicius Guerrero

0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
Legend

Hi vtsguerrero,

you can use strptime on the CAMPAIGN_COMPLETE_DATE like this:

... | eval Today = strftime(now(), "%d/%m/%Y %H:%M:%S") | eval searchTime = strptime(CAMPAIGN_COMPLETE_DATE, "%d/%m/%Y %H:%M:%S") | where searchTime  = Today  | ...

From the docs http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.4/SearchReference/CommonEvalFunctions about strptime

This function takes an epochtime value, X, as the first argument and renders it as a string using the format specified by Y.

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

MuS
Legend

Hi vtsguerrero,

you can use strptime on the CAMPAIGN_COMPLETE_DATE like this:

... | eval Today = strftime(now(), "%d/%m/%Y %H:%M:%S") | eval searchTime = strptime(CAMPAIGN_COMPLETE_DATE, "%d/%m/%Y %H:%M:%S") | where searchTime  = Today  | ...

From the docs http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.4/SearchReference/CommonEvalFunctions about strptime

This function takes an epochtime value, X, as the first argument and renders it as a string using the format specified by Y.

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

vtsguerrero
Contributor

Is it possible to filter between datetimes of event date?
For example, I need to filter a window between 23:00:00 and 06:00:00 but of the current day.
Considering current day as event date, is it possible to achieve this datetime window?
Thanks in advance @ MuS ♦

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...