Getting Data In

How to extract JSON fields with transforms.conf from UI?

marco_massari11
Communicator

Hi,

I need to extract several fields from my JSON logs. For example I have a login event like this:

marco_massari11_0-1667853609238.png

I need to create e field "action" when category=SignInLogs and succeeded (last field) is equal to true or false generating the field action=success or action=failure to be CIM compliant. This value is already extracted under the field "properties.authenticationDetails{}.succeeded. Is it possible to do that by fields transformation in Splunk UI?

Thanks in advance!!

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In Fields->Calculated fields make a calculated field called action and associate it with the sourcetype. The definition would be

if(category="SignInLogs", if('properties.authenticationDetails{}.succeeded'="true", "success", "failure"), action)

A double if, so if category is not SignInLogs, it will just use any existing action value

marco_massari11
Communicator

Hi @bowesmana ,

it seems working fine, but this field properties.authenticationDetails{}.succeeded is not always present within the logs, so in this case I will have action=failure even if the field is not present. Is there a solution to populate the field action only when the field  properties.authenticationDetails{}.succeeded is present?

Thank you in advance!

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Just add in another "if" clause

if(category="SignInLogs", if('properties.authenticationDetails{}.succeeded'="true", "success", if(isnotnull('properties.authenticationDetails{}.succeeded'), "failure", action)), action)

Gets a bit messy with 3 levels of if, you could do it with a 'case' statement, but it would probably be longer anyway

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...