Getting Data In

How to encrypt communication between a universal forwarder and heavy forwarder?

shaileshmali
Path Finder

I am not able to configure heavy forwarder inputs.conf file to receive encrypted traffic.

1) config inputs.conf on heavy forwarder is given below. but netstat -an does not show heavy forwarder is listening on port 9998

[splunktcp-ssl:9998]
compressed = true

[SSL]
password = $1$YJqLPm4skNlFOQ==
rootCA = /opt/splunk/etc/certs/ca.pem
serverCert = /opt/splunk/etc/certs/splunk-dev.pem

2) On universal forwarder I am using app with outputs.conf

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = splunkssl
sendCookedData = true
dnsResolutionInterval = 300

[tcpout:splunkssl]
compressed = true
server = heavy forwarder name :9998
sslCertPath = C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\FW_DEV_NA_Encrypt\default\certs\splunk-dev.pem
sslPassword = testmy123
sslRootCAPath = C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\FW_DEV_NA_Encrypt\default\certs\ca.pem
sslVerifyServerCert = false
0 Karma

m4him7
Path Finder

I had a similar issue and found that I had an outputs.conf file in my etc/system/local directory that was being used instead of the outputs.conf in my app directory. I renamed the wrong outputs.conf file and restarted Splunk. You can tell if your outputs.conf file is being used as the sslPassword = testmy123 will be encrypted after it is read the first time. If you have an outputs.conf file in another directory being used first it may be that it is using a different port which is another indication that the wrong outputs.conf file is being used.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...