Getting Data In

How to efficiently resend data into Splunk with a REST API that will replace old data if it has been updated

kdanielsobrien
Explorer

Hi,

I am looking to resend data to Splunk in the most efficient way. I want to resend data into Splunk with a REST API that will replace old data if it has been updated. I don't want to resend all of the data, only anything that has changed.

The goal is to not give Splunk more data than it needs.
I am searching the data based on a by-minute time range so even in the course of 5-10 minutes, resending all of that would be a lot of data if most of it is repeating events.

I'm very new to all of this so I was looking for some guidance on where to start or helpful links to get started.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You can only do that if you store the data in a Lookup File in Splunk. If you do this, you would update it like this:

Some search to pull in new data here (could be dbxquery or something else)
| some SPL to transform the data and ensure that a distinct key field such as "host" exists
| inputlookup append=true YourLookupFIleHere.csv
| dedup host
| outputlookup YourLookupFIleHere.csv
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @kdanielsobrien,
maybe my words could seem strange: are you sure that you need Splunk?
Splunk works in a different way than a database:

• ingested data aren't modifiable (also by REST API),
  • you have always all the data (in the retention period) and not only the data you want, you have all the data you ingested and you cannot delete them,
  • if you use the delete command, data continue to stand in the buckets (in the retention period) but aren't searchable;
  • for this reason Splunk is commonly used for compliance better than a DB!

Anyway, the first question is: way you want to have this approach? to save storage or what else?

Anyway, if you want to do this, you could create a summary index populating it every day with all the correct data you want ( https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.0/Knowledge/Usesummaryindexing ).

Ciao.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

kdanielsobrien
Explorer

Hi Giuseppe,

I guess I want to filter what data is being sent to Splunk.. For example, I send all the data to Splunk for a 10 minute time span. After I have sent the data to Splunk, a few minutes of data have been replaced with updated new values/data. I only want to resend the new/updated data to Splunk for the few minutes that have been changed.

I want to filter what data is being sent to Splunk because I will waste a lot of GB of data if I resend all of the data from a time span, just to update a few events in Splunk search.

0 Karma

starcher
Influencer

That isn’t how Splunk works. It’s not a database so has no feature like that.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...