Getting Data In

How to create a new Sourcetype from Event Data not the raw data?

robertlynch2020
Motivator

Hi

I am getting in the below data (green box in image).

In green is the raw data and in purple is the event data. 

The issue is there are 3 source types in one and I need a way to separate them into 3 source types using transforms (Or something like that). 

However as the data is event data, how do I do that?

For example, in the past when I had to create a new source type  I could use something like this.

[AMBER_RAW]
SEDCMD-remove_header = s/^.*?\{/{/1
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
TRANSFORMS-sourcetye_routing = AMBER_RAW_json_EVENT,AMBER_RAW_json_TRACE,AMBER_RAW_json_METRIC
EXTRACT-CLUSTER_MACHINE_TEST = ^(?:[^\[\n]*\[){2}(?P<CLUSTER_MACHINE_TEST>[^/]+)

robertlynch2020_0-1652778993534.png

This shows the three different source types that is possible. So i need to create 3 different ones form the orginal one.

robertlynch2020_1-1652779260800.png

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm not entirely sure what you mean since you already know how to overwrite sourcetype but you can use SOURCE_KEY option in your transform to match your regex against a specific field. One caveat though - it must be a indexed field. You cannot use search-time extractions for it.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @robertlynch2020,

you can override sourcetype value finding a regex to identify each one.

You can do this on Heavy Forwarders (if present) on the Indexers, following the instructions at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/Advancedsourcetypeoverrides#:~:text=You%20c....

In few words,

you have to create a stanza in props.conf

[<your_original_sourcetype>]
TRANSFORMS-<class> = <unique_stanza_name>

and a stanza in transforms.conf

[<unique_stanza_name>]
REGEX = <your_regex>
FORMAT = sourcetype::<your_custom_sourcetype_value>
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...