Getting Data In

How to change which index a sourcetype is indexed to?

SridharS
Path Finder

Hi,

Currently I am using "Index1" for "sourcetype1". I want to change this "sourcetype1" to a new index "Index2". I made changes in the inputs.conf under splunkhome/etc/deployment-apps/appname/local in the deployment server and restarted Splunk, but still the "sourcetype1" is not indexing to "Index2". May I know whether I am missing something, or is it mandatory to go into the remote server and do changes in the Splunk forwarder..

Tags (2)
0 Karma

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi SridharS, I'd verify that the forwarder has received the new inputs.conf, and has been restarted. This will be required for the new inputs settings to take effect.

The serverclass mapped to the inputs app could have restartSplunkd = true in order to enforce a reboot whenever the app is updated.

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Two things here
1) Yes, you would need to update the inputs.conf on the forwarder (using deployment server if you use one) to update the index for the sourcetype for future events.
2) Historical data would still be stored under older index.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...