Getting Data In

How to achieve regex to keep the highlighted  parts from the below raw log and remove the rest using SEDCMD?

DanAlexander
Communicator

Hello community,

I am looking for a regex to keep the highlighted  parts from the below raw log and remove the rest using SEDCMD

c-ip=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX rs-Content-Type="application/javascript" cs-auth-groups="xxxxxx\ROLE.STD.MSTeams" cs-bytes=888 cs-categories="Technology/Internet;NetSkope_XXX" cs-host=xxxxxxxx cs-ip=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX cs-method=GET cs-uri-port=443 cs-uri-scheme=https cs-User-Agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Teams/1.6.00.12455 Chrome/ XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX Electron/XX.1.8 Safari/5XX.3X" cs-username=XXXX dnslookup-time=0 duration=0 rs-status=200 rs-version=HTTP/1.1 s-action=TCP_HIT s-ip=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX service.name="XXXXX HTTP" service.group="Standard" s-supplier-ip=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX s-supplier-name=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX sc-bytes=1XXX711 sc-filter-result=OBSERVED sc-status=200 time-taken=31 c-url="/xxxxxxxx.net/midgard/versionless/livepersonacardstrings_f8axxxad2fc4867bf1300xxxx06c7057c23.js" cs-Referer="httpsxxx.com/" cs-auth-groups="ccccccc\ROLE.STD.MSTeams" cs-headerlength=667 cs-threat-risk=2 r-ip=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX s-connect-type=Unknown s-icap-status=ICAP_NOT_SCANNED s-sitename=https.forward-proxy s-source-port=0 s-supplier-country="None" sr-Accept-Encoding=gzip,%20deflate,%20br,%20identity x-auth-credential-type=NTLM x-cookie-date=Thu,%2015-Jun-23%2009:15:15%20GMT x-cs-connection-negotiated-cipher=XXXX_256_GCM_SHA384 x-cs-connection-negotiated-cipher-size=256 x-cs-connection-negotiated-ssl-version=TLSv1.3 x-cs-Referer-uri=https://teams.microsoft.com/ x-cs-Referer-uri-address=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX x-cs-Referer-uri-host=teams.microsoft.com x-cs-Referer-uri-hostname=teams.microsoft.com x-cs-Referer-uri-port=XXX x-cs-Referer-uri-scheme=https x-cs-Referer-uri-stem=https://teams.microsoft.com/ x-exception-sourceline=0 x-rs-certificate-hostnamexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxertificate-observed-errors=none x-rs-certificate-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxnet" x-rs-certificate-validate-status=CERT_VALID x-rs-connection-negotiated-cipher=TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 x-rs-connection-negotiated-cipher-size=256 x-rs-connection-negotiated-ssl-version=TLSv1.3 cs-uri-extension=js cs-uri-path=/midgard/versionless/livepersonacardstrings_f8aa070xxxxxxxxx4867bf13000eac47f306c7057c23.js c-uri-pathquery=/midgard/versionless/livepersonacardstrings_f8aa070ad2fc4867bf1300xxxxxxxxxxxc7057c23.js

Thank you!

0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex mode=sed "s/(?:^.*)(?<cip>c-ip=\S+)\s.*(?<csbytes>cs-bytes=\S+)\s.*(?<csip>cs-ip=\S+)\s.*(?<csmethod>cs-method=\S+)\s.*(?<csusername>cs-username=\S+)\s.*(?<sip>s-ip=\S+)\s.*(?<ssupplierip>s-supplier-ip=\S+)\s.*(?<csreferer>cs-Referer=\S+)\s.*(?<csauthgroups>cs-auth-groups=\S+)\s.*(?<csthreatrisk>cs-threat-risk=\S+)\s.*(?<rip>r-ip=\S+)\s.*(?<xcsrefererurihostname>x-cs-Referer-uri-hostname=\S+)\s.*/\1 \2 \3 \4 \5 \6 \7 \8 \9 \10 \11 \12/g"

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex mode=sed "s/(?:^.*)(?<cip>c-ip=\S+)\s.*(?<csbytes>cs-bytes=\S+)\s.*(?<csip>cs-ip=\S+)\s.*(?<csmethod>cs-method=\S+)\s.*(?<csusername>cs-username=\S+)\s.*(?<sip>s-ip=\S+)\s.*(?<ssupplierip>s-supplier-ip=\S+)\s.*(?<csreferer>cs-Referer=\S+)\s.*(?<csauthgroups>cs-auth-groups=\S+)\s.*(?<csthreatrisk>cs-threat-risk=\S+)\s.*(?<rip>r-ip=\S+)\s.*(?<xcsrefererurihostname>x-cs-Referer-uri-hostname=\S+)\s.*/\1 \2 \3 \4 \5 \6 \7 \8 \9 \10 \11 \12/g"

DanAlexander
Communicator

Hi @ITWhisperer,

Awesome as always. Worked first time.

I wanted to ask would you be willing to help me out with the following, please?

I need help reducing Events containing 4688 and ParentProcessName=*splunkd.exe

There is an excerpt from the log:

<Event xmlns='http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event'><System><Provider Name='Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing' Guid=' XXXXXXXX -4994-a5ba-3e3b0328c30d}'/><EventID>4688</EventID><Version>2</Version><Level>0</Level><Task>13312</Task><Opcode>0</Opcode><Keywords>0x8020000000000000</Keywords><TimeCreated SystemTime='2023-06-13T10:39:41.797279900Z'/><EventRecordID>12536409</EventRecordID><Correlation/><Execution ProcessID='4' ThreadID='15216'/><Channel>Security</Channel><Computer> XXXXXXXX </Computer><Security/></System><EventData><Data Name='SubjectUserSid'>S-1-5-18</Data><Data Name='SubjectUserName'>XXXXXXXX</Data><Data Name='SubjectDomainName'> XXXXXXXX </Data><Data Name='SubjectLogonId'>0 XXXXXXXX 7</Data><Data Name='NewProcessId'>0x2734</Data><Data Name='NewProcessName'>C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\bin\splunk-MonitorNoHandle.exe</Data><Data Name='TokenElevationType'>%%1936</Data><Data Name='ProcessId'>0x17d4</Data><Data Name='CommandLine'></Data><Data Name='TargetUserSid'>S-1-0-0</Data><Data Name='TargetUserName'>-</Data><Data Name='TargetDomainName'>-</Data><Data Name='TargetLogonId'>0x0</Data><Data Name='ParentProcessName'>C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\bin\splunkd.exe</Data><Data Name='MandatoryLabel'>XXXXXXXX -16384</Data></EventData></Event>

Can anyone help me create the appropriate regex I can use within the SEDCMD?

After the reduction the above event the result I am after should look something like this: <EventID>4688</EventID><Data Name='ParentProcessName'>C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\bin\splunkd.exe</Data>

Is the stanza I need to place this looks like this: [WinEventLog] 

Thank you!

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Here's how to do it in SPL:

| makeresults
| fields - _time
| eval _raw=" <Event xmlns='http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event'><System><Provider Name='Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing' Guid=' XXXXXXXX -4994-a5ba-3e3b0328c30d}'/><EventID>4688</EventID><Version>2</Version><Level>0</Level><Task>13312</Task><Opcode>0</Opcode><Keywords>0x8020000000000000</Keywords><TimeCreated SystemTime='2023-06-13T10:39:41.797279900Z'/><EventRecordID>12536409</EventRecordID><Correlation/><Execution ProcessID='4' ThreadID='15216'/><Channel>Security</Channel><Computer> XXXXXXXX </Computer><Security/></System><EventData><Data Name='SubjectUserSid'>S-1-5-18</Data><Data Name='SubjectUserName'>XXXXXXXX</Data><Data Name='SubjectDomainName'> XXXXXXXX </Data><Data Name='SubjectLogonId'>0 XXXXXXXX 7</Data><Data Name='NewProcessId'>0x2734</Data><Data Name='NewProcessName'>C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\bin\splunk-MonitorNoHandle.exe</Data><Data Name='TokenElevationType'>%%1936</Data><Data Name='ProcessId'>0x17d4</Data><Data Name='CommandLine'></Data><Data Name='TargetUserSid'>S-1-0-0</Data><Data Name='TargetUserName'>-</Data><Data Name='TargetDomainName'>-</Data><Data Name='TargetLogonId'>0x0</Data><Data Name='ParentProcessName'>C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\bin\splunkd.exe</Data><Data Name='MandatoryLabel'>XXXXXXXX -16384</Data></EventData></Event>"
| rex mode=sed "s/.*(?<eventId><EventID>4688<\/EventID>).*(?<parentProcess><Data Name='ParentProcessName'>C:\\\\Program Files\\\\SplunkUniversalForwarder\\\\bin\\\\splunkd.exe<\/Data>).*/\1\2/g"

For SEDCMD, you might need fewer backslashes:

s/.*(?<eventId><EventID>4688<\/EventID>).*(?<parentProcess><Data Name='ParentProcessName'>C:\\Program Files\\SplunkUniversalForwarder\\bin\\splunkd.exe<\/Data>).*/\1\2/g
0 Karma

DanAlexander
Communicator

Thank you for replying back @ITWhisperer Much appreciated!

I do struggle at the moment with the sourcetype/source within the props.conf

I did put lots of entries but not sure why this still not reducing the logs

I used:

[WinEventLog]

SEDCMD=regex_here

[wineventlog]

SEDCMD=s/.*/ParentProcessName/g

[xmlwineventlog]

SEDCMD=regex_here

[XmlWinEventLog]

SEDCMD=regex_here

[source::WinEventLog:Security]

SEDCMD=regex_here

[WinEventLog:Security]

SEDCMD=regex_here

[WinEventLog:ForwardedEvents]

SEDCMD=regex_here

[source::WinEventLog:ForwardedEvents]

SEDCMD=regex_here

---------------------------

I am not sure what to use within the squared brackets to make this work.

Regards,

Dan

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...