Getting Data In

How do you get a config from a scripted input?

vbumgarn
Path Finder

Digging around in the splunk python docs (via help(splunk...), splunk.bundle.getConf seems to be the best way to read a config, at least from a command. Unfortunately, it wants a sessionKey, which I'm not aware of existing when you're running from a scripted input. getConf(confName, sessionKey=None, namespace=None, owner=None, overwriteStanzas=False, hostPath=None)

I'm getting this error: splunk.AuthenticationFailed: [HTTP 401] Client is not authenticated; None

So, questions... Is there a sessionKey around when running a scripted input? Is there some other module for merging configs?

Tags (1)

mw
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I settled on the cli config lib (for the same purpose -- scripted inputs). No idea what the best practice is here, but I find this one to be very easy to use. I had a hard time understanding how to use readConf() myself... 😕

import splunk.clilib.cli_common 

config = splunk.clilib.cli_common.getMergedConf('myconfig')

This just returns a normal python dict, so do whatever you want now.

0 Karma

vbumgarn
Path Finder

I figured this one out with a little help, so I thought I'd post the answer for all to see.

Two things are required.

1. In inputs.conf, enable passAuth in your scripted input stanza. I used passAuth = admin. This will send a token for that user to STDIN of your script.
  2. Read that STDIN and use it in the call to getConf. Match the user in the getConf call.

Code snippet: def main(): #get the auth token sessionKey = sys.stdin.readline() #extract the APP name to use for namespace. #Maybe there's a better way then getting it from the script path? namespace = re.findall('.*\/[\/]bin',sys.path[0])[0]

conf = bundle.getConf('foo', sessionKey=sessionKey, namespace=namespace, owner='admin') value1 = conf['stanza']['value1'] value2 = conf['stanza']['value2']

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...