Getting Data In

How do you filter windows logs by level?

crsupportddc
Explorer

Is there any way to get only critical and error logs from Windows?

I mean, Windows generates logs using different levels (Critical, Warning, Error, Information...) and I don't want the Information logs on Splunk, so I would like to configure the forwarder to not send them.

0 Karma
1 Solution

whrg
Motivator

Hello @crsupportddc,

So I assume the Windows events (which are multiline) contain this line which you want to base your filter on:

Type=Information

Check out this page on how to filter specific events: Discard specific events and keep the rest.

On your heavy forwarder/indexer (whatever system comes after the Universal Forwarder), add the following lines to props.conf:

[WinEventLog:Application]
TRANSFORMS-filter = filter_information
[WinEventLog:Security]
[WinEventLog:System]

WinEventLog:Application, WinEventLog:Security and WinEventLog:System refer to the sourcetypes.

And add the following lines to transforms.conf:

[filter_information]
REGEX = Type=Information
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

Do not forget to restart Splunk after making these changes.

View solution in original post

whrg
Motivator

Hello @crsupportddc,

So I assume the Windows events (which are multiline) contain this line which you want to base your filter on:

Type=Information

Check out this page on how to filter specific events: Discard specific events and keep the rest.

On your heavy forwarder/indexer (whatever system comes after the Universal Forwarder), add the following lines to props.conf:

[WinEventLog:Application]
[WinEventLog:Security]
[WinEventLog:System]

WinEventLog:Application, WinEventLog:Security and WinEventLog:System refer to the sourcetypes.

And add the following lines to transforms.conf:

[filter_information]
REGEX = Type=Information
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

Do not forget to restart Splunk after making these changes.

crsupportddc
Explorer

Thank you for the help.
I managed to create a blacklist and avoid some specific logs but I'll implement what you mentioned to completely ignore the Information logs.

whrg
Motivator

Filtering by blacklisting specific EventCodes works as well. Good thinking.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...