Getting Data In

How do use the Splunk REST API to update macros that live under a different app?

starbuck

Hiya, I'm trying to use the Splunk REST API to update macros that I've recently had to move to live under a different app that isn't the default `search` app.

Before when the macro lived in the `search` app I was able to make a POST request to 

/servicesNS/<account>/search/admin/macros/<macroName>

And this worked:

elif search_or_macro == 'macros':
    url = '<ROOT>/servicesNS/<ACCOUNT>/search/admin/macros/{}'.format(macro_name)
    res = requests.post(url, headers=headers, data={'definition': r'{}'.format(macro_definition)})

However once I moved the macros to live under a new app, let's call it `my_new_app`, POST requests no longer work to update the macro. This is what I have currently:

elif search_or_macro == 'macros':
  url = '<ROOT>/servicesNS/nobody/my_new_app/admin/macros/{}'.format(macro_name)
  res = requests.post(url, headers=headers, data={'definition': r'{}'.format(macro_definition)})

I have tried replacing `nobody` with:

• admin
  • the account that owns the macro

However neither of these work.

I used the following splunk command to verify that the endpoint does seem to exist:

| rest /servicesNS/<ACCOUNT>/my_new_app/admin/macros/<MACRO NAME>
| search author=<ACCOUNT>

And when I run that I get the following `id`:

https://127.0.0.1:8089/servicesNS/nobody/my_new_app/admin/macros/<MACRO NAME>

I have also read through the REST API documentation here:

However none of these explicitly describe how to update macros, and all I can seem to find when googling are old posts from 2015-2019 that weren't applicable to what I am trying to achieve

Any help here would greatly be appreciated, I feel like I'm missing something simple but can't find further documentation that applies to macros

Labels (1)
0 Karma

deepakc
Contributor

Check some of the app permissions settings using the below, this may help troubleshoot - it sounds like a permissions issue.

| rest splunk_server=local servicesNS/nobody/search/configs/conf-macros
| search eai:acl.app=my_new_app
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK: a Step-by-Step Guide for ...

Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step guide for newbies Olga Malita The ...

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...