Getting Data In

How do I ingest Linux logs on my indexers?

jrabidoux
Engager

I am running a distributed Splunk environment. I have three indexers, an index master, a search head, and a universal forwarder deployment server. The universal forwarders load balance between the three indexers. I would like to ingest the logs like /var/log/secure/ and /var/log/messages that are on the indexers themselves so I can monitor logins and whatnot on those servers. Can I simply add the log files in question to $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/inputs.conf, on each indexer or is there a better way to attack indexing Linux logs on the indexers in the cluster?

1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You should configure the monitoring configuration, inputs.conf, to a app and deploy that app through the cluster master. See this for more information on distribution of app to indexer cluster peers from cluster master:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.2/Indexer/Updatepeerconfigurations

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You should configure the monitoring configuration, inputs.conf, to a app and deploy that app through the cluster master. See this for more information on distribution of app to indexer cluster peers from cluster master:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.2/Indexer/Updatepeerconfigurations

jrabidoux
Engager

Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for. Worked like a charm!

Many Thanks!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Dashboard Challenge and Watch the .conf24 Global Broadcast!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is still happening, and it's not too late to enter for the week of ...

Join Us at the Builder Bar at .conf24 – Empowering Innovation and Collaboration

What is the Builder Bar? The Builder Bar is more than just a place; it's a hub of creativity, collaboration, ...

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...