Getting Data In

How do I exclude service accounts that match the computer name in search results?

RedHonda03
Explorer

I have not been successful in building a search query that excludes results of a service account that matches the computer name. As an example, we have Server_ABC and it has an account called Server_ABC$. I only want to display results for User Names(Service accounts) that do not match the local computer name. If the service account Server_ABC$ tries to log into Server_ZYX, Server_DEF, and Server_ABC, I just want to see the entries for Server_ZYX and Server_DEF.

I have read the posts below, but they do not provide the results I am looking for.

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/387055/how-to-exclude-computer-account-name-from-results.html
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/93488/how-to-use-lookup-to-exclude-a-list-of-user-names-and-servi...

0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

This run anywhere example shows one possibility:

| makeresults 
| eval host="Server_ABC", user="Server_ABC$" 
| rex field=user "(?<userminusdollar>.*)\$$" 
| where host!=userminusdollar

The key to the above search is that the where command can compare two fields, whereas the search command can not.

0 Karma

RedHonda03
Explorer

Splunk error: Error in 'makeresults' command: This command must be the first command of a search.

Below is what I tried.

sourcetype="windowseventlog:security"
| makeresults
| rex field=user "(?.*)\$$"

When I remove the first line which contains the source, I get "No results found." I'm not sure why I need to have "makeresults" be the first command of a search, when you need to have a source for the data to be searched first.

makeresults
| rex field=user "(?.*)\$$"

0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

My search was intended to be run by itself, not as part of another search. To try it with your data instead try this:

sourcetype=windowseventlog:security
| rex field=user "(?<userminusdollar>.*)\$$" 

The above assumes that the username is in a field called user.

0 Karma

naidusadanala
Communicator

Please share your search query

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...