Getting Data In

How can i redirect data from an index to a new one

baroudiem

Hello,
I would like to know how can i redirect data from a general index to a new one ?

Example :
General index : hostname / ip / port

New index : only port

Thanks.

0 Karma

FredericHebert
Engager

Hi, this seems to be based on  [mysourcetype].

So, if an index gets dozens of sourcetypes treated in the HF, I will need to overrride each one of them individually. 

I need to redirect for a short period of time targeting nullQueue for the remaining of the day. All this is detected via alerts throttled upon thresholds crossing.

Once the theshold crossed, I need a "kill switch" that would flush and data into an index based on an allowed ingestion threshold (plus 5%). I thought of overriding from MyIndex to nullQueue using props/transforms files but I need it to be simply and efficient.

This needs to take precedence on all MyIndex related props/transforms that would still exist, but would simply be left aside.

I would deliver "on the fly" an app that would contain props/transforms (all data targeting MyIndex redirect it to nullQueue) and restart my splunk HF service. at midnight, i would simple delete to "on the fly" an app and restart my splunk HF, falling back to the previously left aside exsiting MyIndex related props/transforms.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @FredericHebert ,

please open a new question even if on the same topic of this question, because in this way, you'll have more attention from more people and the a quicker an maybe better answer.

Anyway, I usually use sourcetype in props.conf , but you can also use host or source but with a little different format:

[host::<your_host>]

or 

[source::<your_source>]

For my knowledhe it isn't possible to define a validity period for a conf file: you should manually (or using a scheduled shell script) modify a conf file and restart the Heavy Forwarder, in my opinion isn't an efficient solution!

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi baroudiem,
if you want to send events that contain a string, you can override the index value depending on a regex On your indexer or heavy forwarder:

# etc/system/local/transforms.conf 

[overrideindex]
     DEST_KEY =_MetaData:Index
     REGEX = .
     FORMAT = my_new_index

#etc/system/local/props.conf 

[mysourcetype]
     TRANSFORMS-index = overrideindex

If instead you want to duplicate in another index a subset of your fields (not all the events), it isn't a good idea to index twice because you have a double license consuption , the best thing is to schedule a search that extract the fields you want and then collect them in one of the following ways:

• if they aren't so much, in a lookup using the outputlookup command;
  • if they are many, in a summary index using the collect command.

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi baroudiem,
if you're satisfied by this answer, please accept and/or upvote it.

Bye, see next time.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

ccl0utier
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

As in "I would like to duplicate a subset of selected events data to another index on top of the current one"?

I suggest you please clarify your question.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...