Getting Data In

How can I set _time for a json payload that has to first be restructured with SEDCMD?

andrewtrobec
Motivator

Hello!  I realize that the question is a bit particular, so I will try to explain through an example.

I am indexing a json that looks like this with escaped characters and leading/trailing quotes:

"{\"data\": {\"essentials\": {\"monitorCondition\": \"Resolved\",\"firedDateTime\": \"2022-09-26T14:56:41.7862462Z\",\"resolvedDateTime\": \"2022-09-26T15:02:47.9852843Z\"}}}"

I need to associated _time to the following statement:

If monitorCondition=Fired then parse firedDateTime as _time, otherwise parse resolvedDateTime as _time.

Since the json is not understood directly by Splunk due to the escaped quotes I am attempting the following:

1. format the _raw correctly so that it is interpreted correctly by Splunk.
  2. calculate the value to use as timestamp
  3. associate timestamp to the _time field 

This is my props.conf so far:

[json_test_st]
KV_MODE = json
DATETIME_CONFIG = 
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 500
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
TZ = GMT
category = Custom
disabled = false
pulldown_type = 1
SEDCMD-formatjson = s/\\|^\"|\"$//g 
TRANSFORMS = gettime
TIMESTAMP_FIELDS = timestamp
TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%7NZ

This is my transforms.conf

[gettime]
INGEST_EVAL = timestamp=if('data.essentials.monitorCondition' = "Fired",'data.essentials.firedDateTime','data.essentials.resolvedDateTime')

The result is that I can get Splunk to parse the json correctly, but it does not extract the timestamp.

Could anybody give me a push in the right direction?

Thank you and best regards,

Andrew

Labels (4)
0 Karma

johnhuang
Motivator

Put this in your transforms.conf instead of INGEST_EVAL.  This regex works off the _raw event example you've provided. Disable the SEDCMD.

REGEX = \x5c\x22monitorCondition\x5c\x22[^\w]*(((Fired)[^\w]*firedDateTime)|(.*resolvedDateTime))[^\w]*(?<timestamp>[\w\d\:\-\.]*)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...