Getting Data In

How can I query and find records which have an empty array?

dreddy123

My JSON looks like this,

{
"id":"studentNumber",
"courses" : [ {
"course" : "Analysis of Alg"
},
{
"course": "game dev"
}

]

}

I would like to get all the student numbers who haven't registered for any courses --> where "courses" array is empty.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@ dreddy123

Can you please try this?

YOUR_SEARCH  | rename courses{}.course as courses_course | where isnull(courses_course) 

My Sample Search:

| makeresults | eval _raw="{\"id\":\"studentNumber\",\"courses\":[{\"course\" : \"Analysis of Alg\"},{\"course\": \"game dev\"}]}" | append [ | makeresults | eval _raw="{\"id\":\"studentNumber\",\"courses\":[]}" ] |kv | rename courses{}.course as courses_course | where isnull(courses_course)

Thanks

0 Karma

nrduren1115
Explorer

Does courses show up as a field in those events? If not, you can use | where isnull(courses)

0 Karma

dreddy123

{
"id":"studentNumber",
"courses" : [ ]
}
it will show up like this when no courses are registered.

0 Karma

nrduren1115
Explorer

To be a bit more specific, is courses extracted as a field and if so, what is the value?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...