Getting Data In

How can I fix this so that it pulls in the timefield correctly, without any splitting of the JSON object?

CMSchelin
Path Finder

I have events like so:

{"action": {"result": true, "type": "login"}, "actor": {"email": "test.email@domain.tld", "id": "0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef", "ip": "1.2.3.4", "type": "user"}, "id": "01234567-89ab-cdef-0123-456789abcdef", "newValue": "audit", "oldValue": "review", "owner": {"id": "fedcba9876543210fedcba9876543210"}, "when": "2023-04-21T18:52:32Z", "account_name": "test_account"}

The props.conf file is as so:

[cloudflare_audit]
NO_BINARY_CHECK=true
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS=JSON
TIMESTAMP_FIELDS=when
disabled=false
pulldown_type=true

When I do this, I wind up with two records per event, split at that TIME_PREFIX setting, each record with the time found in "when".

Things I've tried so far, based on the above:

• Adding "KV_MODE=none" -- The event is parsed as JSON, but the time is ignored
  • Adding "TIME_PREFIX=when": "" and LINE_BREAKER=}$ -- The event is split on "when", again
  • Removing "INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS=true" and adding "AUTO_KV_JSON=true" -- The event is parsed as JSON, but the time is ignored

Two questions:

1. How can I fix this so that it pulls in the timefield correctly, without any splitting of the JSON object?
  2. Why is it so difficult to ingest JSON logs?
Labels (3)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...