Getting Data In

High memory/cpu usage by splunk universal forwarder

NReddy12
Observer

I've installed Splunk Universal Forwarder 9.1.0 on a Linux server and configured batch mode for data log file monitoring. There are different types of logs which we monitoring with different filenames. We observed too much CPU/Memory consumption by splunkd process when the input log files to be monitored are more ( > 1000K approx). All the input data logs files are new and total no. of events range would be 10 to 300.

Few metirc logs:

{"level":"INFO","name":"splunk","msg":"group=tailingprocessor, ingest_pipe=1, name=batchreader1, current_queue_size=0, max_queue_size=0, files_queued=0, new_files_queued=0","service_id":"infra/service/ok6qk4zudodbld4wcj2ha4x3fckpyfz2","time":"04-08-2024 20:33:20.890 +0000"}
{"level":"INFO","name":"splunk","msg":"group=tailingprocessor, ingest_pipe=1, name=tailreader1, current_queue_size=1388185, max_queue_size=1409382, files_queued=18388, new_files_queued=0, fd_cache_size=63","service_id":"infra/service/ok6qk4zudodbld4wcj2ha4x3fckpyfz2","time":"04-08-2024 20:33:20.890 +0000"}

Please help me if there is any configuration tuning to limit the number of files to be monitored.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @NReddy12,

I never experienced this behavior on a Linux server.

The only hint is to open a case to Splunk Support, sending them a diag of your Universal Forwarder.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...