Getting Data In

Help with props.conf to detect timestamp

power12
Communicator

Hello Splunkers,

I have the following raw event.It was parsing with correct date and time until the daylight saving started but after march 13th(daylight saving started) I see one hour mismatch..what changes should I make on props.conf to show the correct time?

3/13/22
11:59:59.989 PM

2022-03-13 22:59:59,989 |v144031v~212657|*** conn[SSL/TLS]=103 CLIENT(1.1.2.2:23) disconnected.

Thanks in Advance

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

sperkins
Path Finder

You can set your Timezone in props.conf 

example: 

[host::nyc*]
TZ = US/Eastern

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/Applytimezoneoffsetstotimestamps

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have seen that there are still some e.g. network equipments which needs reboot after summer/normal time has changed. But as @PickleRick said you should try to get TZ information on source side into events. Then there shouldn't be any issues with it especially when source system and splunk indexer/heavy forwarder are in different time zone!

r. Ismo

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ideally, you should have timezone information within the timestamp. Otherwise, if you know timezone the timestamp is reported in (and it's not prone to change with daylight saving), you can set the timezone explicitly for the given source or sourcetype.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...