Getting Data In

Have difficulty to add forward server

xinlunsm
Engager

Hi,

I installed Splunk 5.0 with *nix on a windows server 2008 r2, and installed Splunk Forwarder on a Linux server and started it. I have enabled port 9000 in Splunk manager for forwarder, and also check the post was not be blocked by fire wall. Then I try to add a forward-server from Linux box which has forwarder installed. But it always gave me an error message - "Login failed, unanthorized" but i am sure the user name "admin" and the password are working, since I can use the same user/pass to login Splunk. Did I missed something? BTW, the command I used to add forward-ser is :
"[root@xxx ~]# /opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk add forward-server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9000"

Any idea? Thanks

Lu

0 Karma
1 Solution

Ayn
Legend

The password is not for the Splunk indexer, it's for the local forwarder. If you didn't change the password there, it's "changeme".

View solution in original post

Ayn
Legend

The password is not for the Splunk indexer, it's for the local forwarder. If you didn't change the password there, it's "changeme".

xinlunsm
Engager

Thanks a lot, i thought the user name and password is used to subscribe the forward service to Splunk manager, what a ???? I am, ^-^

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...