Getting Data In

Getting Splunk to correctly read custom AWS VPC flow logs

olawalePS
Path Finder

Hello All,

I recently started ingesting vac flow logs from my AWS environment using the data manager app, and everything works fine in terms of getting the logs into splunk. 

There is however one issue, when creating the VPC flow logs on AWS, we opted for a custom format to be able to glean additional fields like the "pkt-srcaddr" and pat-dstaddr". As a result of this, Splunk does not correctly interpret the logs on the console. I believe that Splunk is reading the logs using the default log format detailed below:

Default Format:
${version} ${account-id} ${interface-id} ${srcaddr} ${dstaddr} ${srcport} ${dstport} ${protocol} ${packets} ${bytes} ${start} ${end} ${action} ${log-status}

how do I get it to read the logs using the custom format detailed below:

Custom Format
${version} ${account-id} ${vpc-id} ${subnet-id} ${interface-id} ${instance-id} ${flow-direction} ${srcaddr} ${dstaddr} ${srcport} ${dstport} ${pkt-srcaddr} ${pkt-dstaddr} ${protocol} ${packets} ${bytes} ${start} ${end} ${action} ${log-status}

Labels (3)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...