Getting Data In

Get a long string in a form of array without using Rex

beriwalnishant
Path Finder

Hi Team,

I have a field that has the data in this format below :

[ { data data data }],[ {data data data}]

As you see the data in the Bar and Curly bracket sets are more than one separated by comma however when I used 'stats count by field' or table field only first set of brackets return, anything after comma is dropped.

With rex I am able to extract the entire string data extracting to new field but I dont want to use Rex on Raw - our company doesnt promote and support it and warn us to not to use it.

I tried delim=, with makemv, mvcombine etc but it only shows data in first set of bar brackets, rex on field also doesnt show data beyond first set of bar brackets.

Is there a way to get the entire string by not using rex on Raw but using field itself.

Thanks in advance

Nishant

Labels (2)
Tags (5)
0 Karma

beriwalnishant
Path Finder

Thanks a lot @ITWhisperer 

Not sure but they reckon it loads the server so they do not promote using rex, thanks I will try spath but with Rex into new field worked like charm.

It's indeed JSON I forgot to mention it.  I did try mvexpand but it doesnt work, for Spath I am unable to work out on what and how to mention in path.

Thanks

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you share a sample anonymised event in a code block </> 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Why does your company not want you to use the tools available to you?

If you were allowed to use rex, have you been using max_match=0?

If this is really JSON (as your tagging seems to suggest) have you tried using spath?

Do you need the different comma delimited parts to be counted separately, e.g. each part in its own event, if so, have you considered split and mvexpand?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...