Getting Data In

Filtering out data (from a forwarder) on Indexer?

spunk311z
Path Finder

hi, i have several universal forwarders deployed, and im getting lots of events i want to filter out.

I understand from reading answers here i need to do this on the indexer (or else install heavy forwaders on my endpoints, which i dont want to do).
This is a raw entry that im trying to drop / filter out from my indexer (ie to keep it from using up lots of my license):

02/13/2020 10:19:09.016
event_status="(0)The operation completed successfully."
pid=1216
process_image="c:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\vmtoolsd.exe"
registry_type="CreateKey"
key_path="HKLM\system\controlset001\services\tcpip\parameters"
data_type="REG_NONE"
data=""

This is the entry from the inputs.conf on the forwarders that is sending some of the events i want to filter out:

[WinRegMon://default]
    disabled = 0
    hive = .*
    proc = .*
    type = rename|set|delete|create

And i have added these lines on my indexer (and restarted), but im still seeing the events come in:

#on props.conf ( located in: C:\Program #Files\Splunk\etc\users\admin\search\local\props.conf):

TRANSFORMS-set= setnull

#on transforms.conf ( located in: C:\Program #Files\Splunk\etc\users\admin\search\local\transforms.conf):

[setnull]
REGEX = process_image=.+vmtoolsd.exe"
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

Thanks!
(ive been referencing many answers, including this good one):
(h)ttps:// answers.splunk.com/answers/37423/how-to-configure-a-forwarder-to-filter-and-send-the-specific-events-i-want.html

0 Karma

vinod94
Contributor
0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

transforms.conf

[setnull]
REGEX = (?s).*process_image.*vmtoolsd\.exe.*
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue  

REGEX captures all.

0 Karma

manjunathmeti
Champion

Stanza name in props.conf should be source::<source*>* or sourcetype. Set sourcetype attribute in inputs.conf and use same as stanza in props.conf. You can also put props.conf and transforms.conf on universal forwarders.

inputs.conf

disabled = 0
 hive = .*
 proc = .*
 type = rename|set|delete|create
 sourcetype = winregmonitor

props.conf

[winregmonitor]
TRANSFORMS-set= setnull
0 Karma

anmolpatel
Builder

after making the changes, did you do any of the following:
- run the search:
| extract reload=T
OR
- http[s]://[splunkWebHostname]:[splunkWebPort]/debug/refresh
OR
- restart splunk -- /opt/splunk/bin/splunk restart?

and then validate ?

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You should put these under ...\etc\apps\local or ...\etc\system\local instead of under user\admin if you want use those on indexing time.

Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...