Getting Data In

Filter data out from Data Input

bahmed

Hi,

I have spent last 2 hours searching for this simple scenario on Splunk Answers, without any luck.
Here is the case.

• Splunk 6.0.2 (Trial version)
  • Data Input : A Log4J file on my local computer

Requirement : Just want to index events which contains the string "[ERROR ]", in my indexer.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Setup those type of filters at the indexer level :
You can use a rule based on the sourcetype, and a matching regex based on the event.
You can test your regex on sample events with the "rex" command in splunk before to make sure.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Forwarding/Routeandfilterdatad#Keep_specific_even...

bahmed

For the new events, all of them are getting indexed including the one contains "Error".

I have restarted the Splunk on my local machine.

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This looked correct, What is the current behavior when you index new events :

• all events are dropped the nullQueue (with or without the [ERROR] keyword)
  • all events are indexed ?
  • a mix of both ?

did you restarted the indexers to apply the change ?

0 Karma

bahmed

Thanks yannK. I have changed the regular expression as per your point 1. No change in the result.

My props/transforms are in the following directory : C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\system\local

Does that makes them on indexers.

Appreciate your help.

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

1- [ and ] are regex keyword, you should escape them
REGEX = \[ERROR\]

2- make sure that those props/transforms are on the indexers (not on universal or lightweight forwarders only)

0 Karma

bahmed

Based on the article, I set the following files as shown, but still not getting the filtered log.

props.config

[MyVacationLog]
TRANSFORMS-set= myvacnull,myvacparsing

transforms.config

[myvacnull]
REGEX = .
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

[myvacparsing]
REGEX = [ERROR]
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = indexQueue

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...