Getting Data In

File won't index

timmy13
Communicator

In testing for implementation on an enterprise Splunk implementation, I am working on my XP desktop with Splunk 4.31 installed.

I have a file that is essentially a csv file but is delimited by pipes (|). I want to use props.conf and transforms.conf to extract the fields. I have everything set up, I THINK correctly, but the file simple will not index. I am getting no data. Any help appreciated!

Here's the configs

inputs.conf....

[default]
host = MyPC

[monitor://C:\Documents and Settings\c5012044\My Documents\ebqa4\ebqa4a.pipe]
disabled = 0
followTail = 0
sourcetype = ebqa

props.conf...

[ebqa]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
TRANSFORMS-t01 = csv1-fieldextraction
NO_BINARY_CHECK = 1
pulldown_type = 1

and transforms.conf...

[csv1-fieldextraction]
DELIMS="|"
FIELDS="TimeStamp","Start_Timestamp","Commit_Timestamp","Operation","Username","OS_Username", "Machine_Name", "SQL_Redo"

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Karma

MarioM
Motivator
0 Karma

timmy13
Communicator

As I mentioned initially, this is on a test system. I have indexed exactly two files (or attempted to). This, and one other. Even on the Search App summary page, I seee only the other source, not this source. I am boggled.

0 Karma

MarioM
Motivator

this is strange...the only reason i could see is that the data is sent to an index which is NOT searched by default...
But as per your inputs.conf there is no specific index specified...
does 'index="*" sourcetype=ebqa' bring nothing too?

0 Karma

timmy13
Communicator

10 Records, no errors. I see the same info in the splunkd.log file. Mainly INFO events about parsing the file. 2 Warnings about timestamps being far apart, but accepted anyway.

0 Karma

MarioM
Motivator

what do you get from this search:

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd "*.pipe"

Any errors?

0 Karma

timmy13
Communicator

Yes, I do
Says "Finished reading"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...